The RCAH Center for Poetry depends on the work of our talented and enthusiastic interns to carry out our mission.
Every spring, the RCAH Center for Poetry at MSU accepts applications for internships for the following academic year. The application period for 2018-19 has now closed.
Suggested internship areas:
Blogging, Social Media, and Public Relations
- Work with Assistant Director to manage and create original content for the RCAH Center for Poetry newsletter and blog
- Update social media sites regularly (Facebook, Twitter, Wordpress, YouTube, Flickr, Instagram)
- Draft and distribute press releases regarding events
- Update community calendars
- Design flyers and other promotional materials (e.g. bookmarks, postcards, invitations) for distribution
- Update website using Adobe Muse (no previous experience required)
- Learn letterpress printing to design and create poetry broadside sheets for the Spring Poetry Festival
Education and Outreach
- Work with existing contacts in schools and local organizations to lead workshops in poetry, writing, and/or art for children and adults
- Create new liaisons with schools and organizations to broaden awareness of the Center for Poetry
Podcast, Video, and Photo Production
- Co-produce monthly podcast
- Document RCAH Center for Poetry events and upload content to YouTube and Flickr
- Create promotional video about the RCAH Center for Poetry
- Maintain the RCAH Center for Poetry’s library and implement digital system for checking out books
- Maintain database (LibraryThing.com) that houses the RCAH Center for Poetry’s collections and expand its social media presence
- Maintain the Center's Little Free (Poetry) Library in the community
- Assist with the organization of the annual new & used book sale in September
Contest Administration and Publishing
- Read and evaluate entries for the Benvenuto High School Poetry Competition, the Samet High School Fiction Competition, and the Capital Area Poetry Competition
- Read and review manuscripts submitted for Wheebarrow Books Poetry Prize
- Assist with publication and distribution by MSU Press of winning titles of the Wheelbarrow Books Poetry Series, with potential to attend AWP Conference and Bookfair in the Spring.
Event Planning and Programming
- Plan events from start to finish, including contract negotiation, venue planning, budgeting and funding appeals, and travel arrangements
- Produce publicity, plan and staff events
- Grant writing and other funding methods
When available, internships for MSU students are posted on My Spartan Career.